This one is great after you have finished working with a text (from the course book or otherwise). It’s best for Elementary-Pre-Intermediate levels. Some of you might know it from your childhood, in the form of Ad Lib pads.
- Type up the text from the course book AFTER you have already finished working with it (this is important that it is NOT an unknown text).
- Blank out some of the words and write in parenthesis what type of word it was, e.g. verb, adjective, noun, number, color, job etc.
- Then put the learners in pairs and give the text to one person who will then request the missing information as such: “give me an adjective” “stinky” “give me a verb”….
- Then they read the new nonsense text together and have a laugh.
- Give the other person another text (or another part of the same text) and repeat the exercise.
The laughter is key as it means they recognize and understand that it is silly. Good way to wind down the lesson and make the most of the course book.