This exercise is good for all levels and there are different versions.
- Print out pictures/clipart depicting actions/people/places etc.
- Give a pile of cards (about 12-15) to each small group (3-4 people).
- Explain that they are going to go in a circle, taking one card which they use to tell a story.
- Then the next person takes the next card and continues the story.
- Continue in this manner until all the cards are gone.
- The trainer should circle and assist when needed.
- Instead of the participants taking the cards as they tell the story, distribute the cards and allow them to choose from the ones in their hand which card they will use to tell the next part of the story.
- Lay all the cards on the table face-up and allow them as a group to create an order and negotiate the story.
- Lay all the cards on the table face-up, and each player (going in a circle) can select ANY card visible to tell the next part of the story.
This exercise is good for speaking practice at all levels.