Many teachers know and use this activity. I only use it occasionally with the right group. If you have a group with learners who don’t like to be in the hot seat/have all the attention on them, then try a different activity.
- Divide the class into two (or more) groups. All learners should be facing the board.
- Put one seat for each team and place it with its back to the board. These are the “hot seats”.
- One member from each team comes to the front and sits in the chairs with their back to the board.
- The trainer has a list of review vocabulary and writes one of these words clearly and in large print on the board so the class can see the word, but not the person in the hot seat.
- The team describes the word in whatever means possible to their teammate in the hot seat. The first person to guess the word, wins a point for their team.
- Then, change learners in the hot seats and repeat with a new word.
1-1: This activity is not possible for 1-1 lessons. For an similar alternative see the activity here called PASSWORD.