This is something I used to do with my friends back home. It is best for levels from A2-C2. As the teacher, you should also take part!
- Give each participant a page with one sentence at the top (a different sentence for each sheet), such as: Bob had a problem at work./An old woman named Martha needed help./Sarah received an email with the best news of her life.
- Allow the learners to read their sentence and explain that they will write the next sentence under the original sentence.
- Then, everyone should fold the paper in such a way that only their sentence is visible.
- They then pass their paper to their left. When they receive the new sheet, they read the visible sentence (again ONLY THE LAST SENTENCE), they continue the story for that sheet.
- The process repeats for a certain period of time or until the sheets are full.
- Finally, the learners open the sheets and read their stories out loud to the group. Some of the stories will be quite funny, others strange, but everyone enjoys hearing them!
1-1 Adaptation: this exercise does not work for 1-1 situations at all. There need to be a minimum of 3 people who write.